Are We There Yet!
The trip to Pittsburgh started with us getting up at 5:00 a.m. to be to the airport on time for our flight at 7:20 a.m. We checked our bags at the curb and headed through security without a hitch. We began making our way to the counter when I noticed that I had a message on my cell phone. I got the message and was told that our flight had been delayed until 11:45 a.m. but that they had booked us on another flight leaving at 8:30 a.m. with a connecting flight in Atlanta instead of Detroit. This meant that instead of arriving in Pittsburgh at 2:30 p.m. we wouldn't arrive until 6:00 p.m. Ann and I braced ourselves for a long travel day with three kids!
The kids were exceptionally good on the plane, mostly thanks to the Nintendo DS games, special thanks to Kirby and Star Wars for capturing the kids attention pretty much the whole plane ride to Atlanta. Claire was a dream as always and hardly made a noise.
Once in Atlanta we got some food and then headed over to our gate for our next connecting flight. We waited and waited and waited for what seemed like forever, which really was actually only an extra hour wait for our plane in Atlanta to finally leave to Pittsburgh. Max fell asleep right when the plane took off and Will played his DS, again thank you Star Wars!
During the plane ride from Atlanta to Pittsburgh I started thinking about our baggage and car seats and wondered where they were. Once we arrived in Pittsburgh we quickly headed through the airport so that we could find our Grammy who was waiting for us at the baggage claim. The kids were so excited to see her and we were too. We headed over to the baggage claim desk and inquired about our bags and they told us that they should be arriving that night on a later flight and that they would deliver them to us.
In all the confusion of the bags Will set his beloved DS with the Star Wars game on the seat at the baggage claim and it is now lost forever! We piled in the 9 passenger van, which I cannot believe that Grammy was able to drive, and headed to their beautiful home. Claire quite enjoyed her forward facing booster chair while Ann almost had a heart attack worrying about her in it!
The boys quickly found a new toy and are going to be getting in some serious exercise this week! Max has only lost his balance once and gone flying off of the treadmill. He has some pretty good burns on his shoulders and back but he'll survive. I am sure that he will get some more serious injuries from it later in the week.
We had a great first night sleep here in Pittsburgh and we are now wondering where are bags and car seats are. I called the airport this morning and they weren't much help. It is kind of like being back on my mission in Peru where I hated washing my clothes by hand so I pretty much just wore the same clothes for 4 or 5 days. Don't judge me for that, if you had to wash your clothes by hand you would have done the same thing! My hands would bleed after all that washing, honestly.
President and Sister Summerhays are off to a staffing meeting this morning and we are cleaning ourselves up the best we can. It is going to be a great week and we are so glad to see our Grammy and Grandpa again. We are so proud of them and the service that they are giving and the example that they are setting. You can tell how excited they are about the work that is going on and how much they truly love it out here.
Stay tuned for more details about our fun adventure in Pittsburgh and pray that our luggage will arrive before it is time to go home!
7 comments:
Oh no! Traveling can be a nightmare can't it? Sounds like under the circumstances you did very well. Hopefully the luggage comes today! I'm impressed that you blogged already.
Give Pres. and Sister Summerhays a great big hug from the Oettlis. I hope your luggage comes soon. I'll be checking your blog for updates!
Wow! You guys are troopers. I am sorry to hear about the DS and the luggage. You might have to pick up another for the flight home. Hope the rest of the trip is better! Have fun!!!
I hate to tell the others to come after you but we also did not get one of our bags until later.
It sounds like you did a great job of surviving a long day. Looks like Will will be getting a new DS before the trip home.
What a nightmare! That's so devistating for Will to have lost the DS. Did you go to the game is what I want to know. Your dad said that he was taking you to the Steelers game. Robbie about died when he heard that. It was an amazing game. Tell your parents Hi for me. Can't wait for the "daily" updates. Lots of pictures please. The kids look so darling on the plane. So so cute! PS-I saw Jack again today...ugh!
Oh good times!! Brookelyn left her DS in the pocket of the seat on the airplane on the way to Hawaii. Luckily she had a b-day coming up and got a new one. We can't live without them either.
That is horrible about your luggage...clean undies and a toothbrush are definitely necessities. As always, at least you will have a story to tell for decades. Congrats on getting your little family so far...your kids are the cutuest and you are two very amazing parents.
Post a Comment