Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Brussels Floral Carpet

Here is a blog entry for my wife, watch out because she is going to get nastalgic!

It’s amazing how a single flower can inspire a biannual artistic tradition in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Starting in 1971, landscape architects over the years have constructed an intricately designed carpet within the confines of the Grand Place in Brussels, Belgium by using one type of flower: the begonia. The inspiration behind each floral carpet design is determined by the theme for that year whether it is a coat of arms dedication to a town or a floral depiction of an historical piece of art or tapestry. The most recent floral carpet event occurred in August 2008, reflecting the world’s largest Savonnerie tapestry that dates back to the 17th century. The end result is beyond words and will inspire you to travel to Brussels for this main event if you haven’t had the pleasure of seeing it in person!



3 comments:

Andrea October 8, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

I am nastolgic! Can you believe that I lived there?? It is incredible!

Sara October 8, 2008 at 9:03 PM  

That is amazing. When I first looked at the picture I didn't realize it was all flowers. Wow.

Laura October 8, 2008 at 10:12 PM  

Amazing! I can't believe they can do that. I would LOVE to see it in person.

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP