Spiritual Baby Steps
I spent last week in Pittsburgh with my parents who are serving as mission presidents and I couldn't help but be transported back in time about 12 years when I arrived in Peru to serve as a missionary. I can remember a time on my mission where I craved learning about the gospel. I remember asking members and investigators to sacrifice so much of their time and energies to increase their spirituality. I look back at what was going on in their lives and I realize now what huge sacrifices I asked of them. I wish that I could say I was making those same sacrifices and exerting those same energies to increase my spirituality.
Being a married man, father of 3 great kids, working full time, between homework, dinner, baths, pulling the house together it seems there is little time for R & R before hitting the sack and starting all over again. Don't misinterpret what I am saying here, I love every part of the craziness that is my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but somewhere in all that madness I have put scripture reading and serious spiritual pondering and meditation on the back burner. I have tried several things to get back in to the daily routine of it all but have found no success.
Now don't freak out and call the Bishop and tell him that he needs to talk to me. I haven't lost my testimony, never will, but I do long for those moments, those days where you feel the spirit so strongly, where you actually feel pure intelligence flowing through you. I haven't had one of those days in a long time.
So in order to become a better husband and father, which for me is tops on the list, here is the new plan. The first step just took place. I've confessed my weakness to whoever actually reads this blog so that I will be held accountable for step number two. Step number two will be to actually blog about my spiritual experiences every week. I am not one to really share my feelings with people, just ask Ann, but this is a pretty easy way to do it.
So hopefully as I push myself to increase my spirituality you will too. Here goes nothing!
7 comments:
What a great idea. I was just thinking the same thing. I have extreme Mother guilt about not teaching my children and not living the spiritual life I hope for them. I can't wait to hear you share your feelings because that will help me too. Thanks and I love you!!!
I feel the same way. You need a big trial in your life to bring you back. Just kidding. But it sounds like you are on the right track to recognize that you need more spirituality in your life and are taking steps to get it. I need to do the same thing.
I think this is a lifelong struggle. Great post and I can't wait for the follow ups.
It was such a great lift for Dad and I to have you and your special family with us for Thanksgiving. These last two Thanksgivings have been the best for Dad and I. Family is the most important!!!!
Ditto
I am so excited to increase my testimony through yours. You're the best Greg.
I miss my mission for the same reason (and of course having Andrea as a companion). Having so much time to study and serve was wonderful. I need to do better too.
Post a Comment