Legislative Update
Just a disclaimer for Ryan that this entry won't be filled with what he calls flaming liberalism , but it will contain my passionate views on a number of subjects.
Today I went up to Capitol Hill for Hispanic/Latino Day at the Hill (that is a whole different entry). I was once again appalled by the disrepect that many legislators showed those that came to testify in the commitee hearings. This is a intimidating process for many people and the fact that they muster up the courage to speak their mind warrants at least a glance from the commitee they are addressing.
I went to a committee hearing about in-state tuition for undocumented immigrants and once again was saddened by the lies and attacks on these students. Just to set the record straight here are a few important details to remember:
1. The majority of these undocumented students seeking in-state tuition were brought to the U.S. by their parents and most likely didn't find out that they themselves were illegal immigrants until they were teenagers.
2. They have grown up in Utah, attended Utah schools, speak English, dress, talk, and act like any other Utah kid and they simply are seeking to better themselves through higher education. Should we punish them for that?
The argument I heard today on this issue is that they are criminals and should be denied in-state tuition for their crime. These kids did not choose to come to the US illegally, their parents did. Deal with the parents, don't punish the students. The other argument I heard was that they won't be able to work after they graduate so we are setting them up for failure. The truth is that yes they will find work with or without the degree. At least with the degree we will be able to inject better qualified workers in to our workforce.
This bill passed out of commitee and will next be debated on the House Floor. Hopefully some good debate will ensue and this bill will be voted down. Unfortunately other bills like those seeking some sort of equality for those with untraditional families didn't make it out of committee and won't be heard or debated. Important issues that affect many people should at least be passed out of committee hearings to be debated openly by our Senators and Representatives.
I know that some of you are reading this and saying how can he support Gay Marriage. These bills do nothing to change Amendment 3 in Utah which defines marriage between a man and a woman. The bills proposed simply tried to ensure that those living in non-traditional families be granted the same civil rights that those of us in traditional families enjoy.
It is always an interesting time at the legislature and there are many sides to every issue. Take some time to get involved and learn more about what is going on with laws that could and will effect you in one way or another. Check out the great legislative webpage to learn more about what bills are being proposed, debated, and put into law. www.le.state.ut.us/
5 comments:
I think it is cool that you went up there today. How horrible that many legislators are rude and disrespectful for those people taking their time to testify.
I agree that undocumented students should be given in-state tuition--I mean give me a break--we would rather have them not going to college and working minimum wage jobs their entire lives? I never have a problem with illegal immigrants who are in this country working hard and doing their best--my only beef is with the ones who come here and break the law--let's send their sorry a--es back to wherever they came from.
As for gay marriage--There are so many in Utah who are terrified of anything to do with gays and lesbians. Utah will never allow gay marriage and that is not what these people are after. Same sex couples should have the same basic rights that traditional couples enjoy (short of the right to marry.) It's too bad that the legislature didn't even dabate the new bills.
You go Greg!! I love your big heart. I agree with the in-state tuitiion. Lets educate them and keep them off the streets.
Thanks for saying all of that. I think you speak for more people than you think. Too many people are too afraid to say how they really feel because of all of the pressure in our community. Good for you!
Thanks for the information Greg. I too deal with Legislative issues a lot for my job and cannot tell you how appalled I am by the rude behavior these people display. I absolutely see your point on both issues. If they could only understand that by allowing in-state tuition to these students they are opening a door to a different kind of life, and in return they will be better citizens to the State of Utah. In the long run this will save the tax dollars from going to these people through welfare or the jail/prison system. Most of the bills I deal with are to do with healthcare. I argue the same point there - by spending a small amount of money on prevention...we save a lot of money in the long run.
Great job Greg! I wish we were dealing with the same legislators...we could probably swap stories!
Jill
The world needs more people like y...well, more people with big hearts and fewer government programs.
Post a Comment