Retirement
I have been coaching the boys soccer teams for the last 7 seasons and I am happy to announce my retirement. I can officially retire knowing that the preschool team has finally figured out which way we are going, unfortunately they still don't get the concept of scoring, passing, kicking the ball, and some of them still struggle throwing the ball in. In reality some of them still struggle being in the game and actually running around or doing anything remotely similar to that! I think we lost every game about 10 to maybe 2, if we were lucky.
The first graders on the other hand have made some good progress. They actually pass the ball and they learned their positions pretty well, which wasn't an easy task but we made it. I only left one kid during the season after practice without his parents being there so I only got chewed out by a parent once! I consider that a success.
All in all it has been a good ride but it is over. Don't worry I will not be coming out of retirement under any circumstances, and Claire will not be playing sports she will be dancing!
7 comments:
No, no, no! You can't retire when your kids are 6,4, and 1; you are in for many more seasons of soccer, basketball and baseball. Jr. Jazz sign-ups are due Nov. 24th, you have a few weeks to relax and then break out your whistle again!
You'll be back but I'd give it a few years. You have been the most dedicated coach I've ever seen. I was so impressed when we were playing your team and you were still cheering for my kid. You are too good to give it up entirely but I definately think you need a few years off.
Never say never.
I think you're a great coach, but agree that it's time for a break. Laura's right, you can't say never yet. You have two boys - and they're going to want to play sports. Well, I guess you can just be a parent spectator and not the coach. Nothing wrong with that!
I bet you are such a great coach. I have to admit I'm not that excited about little league sports.
Did you do chinese fire drills too. Dad use to let us do chinese fire drills after practice. Maybe if you took them all to get slurpees they would do better. I love soccer!!!!
Good for you Greg!! Remember Dad coached 6 kids in a 15 year span. You are just getting started.
Post a Comment