Monday, December 15, 2008

The Perfect Day

I'm 31 years old now and yesterday turned out to be the perfect day. From previous posts you know that the stomach flu has been going around our family, well it finally was Ann's turn for it. She was sick in bed all day so I spent the day taking care of her and the kids. From bathing the kids, getting them ready for church, preparing Max's talk for Primary, getting Claire fed, bathed, and down for a nap, by mid day I was pretty exhausted. Then it was off to church to help Max give his talk, back home to take care of Ann and Claire and then back to church again to pick up the boys. Then change eveyone's clothes and off to a Christmas party for the extended Summerhays family. Later that night it was brushing the teeth, helping Max with his bathroom issues, and cleaning up Claire after she had spit up all over her bed. This may not sound like the perfect way to spend your 31st birthday but it reminded me of something my Uncle Leroy wrote in his journal once.

My Uncle Leroy passed away 11 years ago and I remember my aunt Carol sharing this story that he wrote in his journal about how he had come home from work and wanted to just have a few quiet moments to himself. He found himself in the bathroom seeking that solace when before he knew it all of his kids were in there with him telling him about their day and asking him for help with this and that. I can't remember his exact words but he said something to the effect of the solace he was searching for was right there with him and it was the perfect ending to a chaotic day.

My day yesterday reminded me of that story. The perfect way to celebrate my 31st birthday was to celebrate my perfect life. I have three amazing children that keep me on my toes and teach me new things daily, and a wonderful best friend to share each of those moments with. Life is chaotic and the peaceful moments are few and far between but I wouldn't have it any other way.

9 comments:

Laura December 15, 2008 at 1:16 PM  

Happy Birthday. That was an awesome post!

Allison and Nathan December 15, 2008 at 1:42 PM  

Great attitude! Happy Birthday!

Krissy December 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

WOW! You must be tired... with exhaustion of great joy! It's a great way to count your blessings! You are blessed with an amazing life. Happy Birthday Gregors!

brooke December 15, 2008 at 8:53 PM  

You are a good man. I love your blog.

Jana Sohm December 15, 2008 at 9:51 PM  

I thought you looked older when you came in to primary to help Max w/ his talk. :) I love that you can see the joy amongst all of the daily craziness. That was a good reminder!

Jenn O. December 16, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

You are such a great dad and husband (and brother)! Happy Birthday!

Andrea December 16, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

You beat me to the punch! Last night I could not sleep and so about 1:30 a.m. I got up to write in my journal. I wrote about our last two months of sickness and the loads of laundry that we have done in the middle of the nights. I wrote about how special each of our children is and how much you amaze me. I wrote about your birthday and how you didn't get to sleep in, or have breakfast in bed or even have a special birthday dinner and when your parents called to wish you a Happy Birthday you said it was just like any other day in our life. I felt sad that I was hovering over the toilet throwing up instead of making your birthday special, but then when we crawled into bed you said, "Our life is great!" I was amazed! Amazed that you could feel that way when it was such a crazy day that has been led up to by too many other crazy days.

I thought our life is like a country song called "Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Vassar.

“The kids screaming, phone ringing
Dog barking at the mailman bringing
That stack of bills - overdue
Good morning baby, how are you?
Got a half hour, quick shower
Take a drink of milk but the milk's gone sour
My funny face makes you laugh
Twist the top on and I put it back
There goes the washing machine
Baby, don't kick it.
I promise I'll fix it
Long about a million other things

Well, it's ok. It's so nice
It's just another day in paradise
Well, there's no place that
I'd rather be
Well, it's two hearts
And one dream
I wouldn't trade it for anything
And I ask the Lord every night
For just another day in paradise

Friday, you're late
Guess we'll never make our dinner date
At the restaurant you start to cry
Baby, we'll just improvise
Well, plan B looks like
Dominoes' pizza in the candlelight
Then we'll tippy toe to our room
Make a little love that's overdue
But somebody had a bad dream
Mama and daddy
Can me and my teddy
Come in to sleep in between?

Yeah it's ok. It's so nice.
It's just another day in paradise.
Well, there's no place that
I'd rather be
Well, it's two hearts
And one dream
I wouldn't trade it for anything
And I ask the Lord every night
For just another day in paradise

Well, it's ok. It's so nice.
It's just another day in paradise.
Well, there's no place that
I'd rather be
Two hearts
And one dream
I wouldn't trade it for anything
And I ask the Lord every night
For just another day in paradise

For just another day in paradise
Well, it's the kids screaming. The phone ringing
Just another day
Well, it's Friday. You're late
Oh yeah, it's just another day in paradise”

I was planning on getting up and figuring out how to post on your blog what an amazing person you are, but I can’t figure out how to do that and so I have written a lengthy comment instead. I want to wish you a Happy Birthday and tell you how much I love you!! I know that you will continue to amaze me forever because that is who you are.

Anonymous December 16, 2008 at 3:46 PM  

What a great post. Happy Birthday and you are an amazing person.

Jill Steeley December 17, 2008 at 2:28 PM  

Happy Late Birthday Greg! You are such a great person and I'm glad you're part of our family. Nice job Andrea...you picked a "goodie"!

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP